Sunday, February 28, 2016

Reenacting Ribbons Made into Medals

All of the important 150th Anniversary Civil War reenactments gave out a ribbon with a medallion to every soldier, by popular request of the participants as a souvenir. Most of these were meant to be worn around the neck. Since I personally don't think I'll ever want to wear them in that fashion, I got the idea of cutting off the ribbons to make military-style medals to pin on my uniform... So I can impress the ladies at the ball. If you like this idea, pass it along!

3 comments:

  1. Clever idea! The second Antietam sesquicentennial event also gave out these ribbon and pin style medallions. I always preferred that style to the around the neck kind. I may have to convert the rest of mine, though I'm not sure how many civilian ladies walked around with a bunch of war medals pinned to their dress :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ladies are probably better off with a cockade for the hat. A cockade could just be made with a bunched up ribbon underneath the medallion, with a safety pin stuck through the back.

      Delete
    2. Run a Google search for "Civil War Cockade" and you may find inspiration.

      Delete